Wednesday, February 8, 2012

How do I obtain a birth certificate for my great-grandparents who were born in Poland?

Hello,



I need birth certificates for my great-grandparents. They were born in Poland around 1890 (I have the exact dates and towns where they were born).



(1) Does anyone know how I can obtain a copy of the birth certificate?

(2) What information would be on a birth certificate from this time period?



If it matters, I do not speak Polish.



Thanks!How do I obtain a birth certificate for my great-grandparents who were born in Poland?
go to local council
Years ago I acquired an extracted birth record for my father, who was born in Poland.



I did this beginning with the Polish Embassy in Washington, D.C. They directed me to the Polish Consulate in Los Angeles.



The process took awhile and quite a bit of money. In the end it cost me about $75. I do not know if this is still the process or not. I would advise you to begin at the following website and email them to find out the proper procedure and cost. http://www.polandembassy.org/



If you are seeking records for Poles of Jewish heritage, there are over 3 million online records on the Jewish Records Indexing - Poland Database at: http://www.jewishgen.org/jri-pl/jriplweb鈥?/a>



Polish records are not in what we consider birth certificate form, but usually a one line entry in a record book. The details vary depending on the year of birth, death, and marriage.



If you are writing from Canada, the UK or a country outside of the United States, you would need to find the webpage for the embassy in your country.



Good luck on your quest....How do I obtain a birth certificate for my great-grandparents who were born in Poland?
Poland didn't issue birth certificates until after the reunification after WWI. If you know the town of birth, then I can help you figure out where records might be kept. For 2/3rds of what we now know as Poland, there weren't any birth records kept in that era. Those that were kept were only an entry in a registry, not individual birth certificates.



There are alternatives to birth certificates. If your ancestors were Lutheran, Catholic, Orthodox or Evangelical, you can pull the films of the baptismal records from the LDS Family History Center. If they were Jewish, there won't be anything you can find to replicate a birth record.



If you want to send what you know about them through my profile, I'd be happy to give you a sense of direction.How do I obtain a birth certificate for my great-grandparents who were born in Poland?
I have ancestors from northeastern Poland and I visit the parishes they belonged to and go thru the records. There are three main types of records, birth, marriage and death ( this is true for the areas of Poland that were previously Russia-Poland from 1795-1918, I'm not sure about the rest ). The birth records usually include the following.. name, date of birth , place of birth, godparents ( sometimes if catholic ) parents' names including mother's maiden and their age at the birth of their child. The marriage record includes: names of people married as well as their parents' names and mothers' maiden names, date of marriage, parish of marriage. The death records include... name, death date, death place, parents' names including mother's maiden.

( this is true for records before 1900 ) You can try and find the parish's website ( I'm assuming they were Roman Catholics ) and write an email. English is fine.



There are also province archives that have lots of information and I think you can contact them and order copies of records.

Since you have the town of your great grandparents, all you would have to do is find which province archive they belong to and contact them. Here is a list of archives ( unforutnately in Polish ) http://www.archiwa.gov.pl/?CIDA=177

Or you can find a professional genealogist to do it for you but that might be a bit pricey



By the way I dont think there were individual

birth certificates back then.
  • eye makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment